When choosing the best concealed handgun, there are a number of specific considerations to think about that don’t necessarily apply to handguns purchased for home security or for competitive shooting. Portability, for example, isn’t a key consideration in a firearm kept for home security reasons, but it is one of the biggest factors in choosing a concealed carry pistol. Factors like this play a major role in the purchase process and should be weighed greatly.
Consider These Factors
- Size. Size is one of the most important factors to look at when purchasing a handgun with the intent of using it as a concealed carry firearm. Generally speaking, you have the choice between pocket pistols and mid-size holster handguns.
Pocket pistols are very small and can easily fit in a pocket or purse. Mid-size holster handguns—as the name suggests—must be carried in a holster. While they are slightly bigger in size, they are more powerful and accurate than pocket pistol alternatives. The tradeoff here is between portability and power.
- Durability. For those intending to carry a firearm on a regular basis, durability should be an important factor. You should select a handgun that’s able to take a beating and will stand strong in a variety of environments and situations.
- Good Fit. Many times, it just comes down to feel. What feels good in one person’s hand may not be comfortable in yours, and vice versa. You should pay attention to things like grip, weight and texture. A handgun is usually a long-term investment, and you should be satisfied with every part.
- Safety Mechanism. There are a variety of safety mechanisms on handguns these days. Some require manual separate action and others passive. Most designs are safe, but some are more complicated than others requiring more training to be proficient. Keep this in mind when choosing. Which you choose is usually a matter of personal taste and intended use.
- Ease of Use. This goes hand in hand with the safety feature, but you should consider how easy a handgun is to use. In many self-defense situations, a fraction of a second can change the outcome of the situation. A firearm that is difficult to use or has complicated features may not be ideal.
At Springfield Armory®, we offer high quality firearm solutions for all lifestyles. If you’re looking for the perfect concealed carry firearm, we have a number of models and styles. We would be happy to discuss the individual characteristics with you, so you can make an educated decision.