Participants in competitive shooting events are serious about their sport, which takes a great deal of training, practice and expertise. If you are just getting started in competitive shooting, this post will provide a number of tips to help you gain an edge over fellow participants.
Tips for Success
While it’s an easy sport to get started in, competitive shooting takes much practice and determination to succeed. If you are looking to both get started and find success, follow these tips while trying to find your way:
- Jump In. You don’t have to be a sharpshooter to begin. Regardless of skill level, as long as you are safe and follow the rules, you should have little trouble finding competitions, as many cater to beginners. There are a number of different classes of shooters, so you won’t be alone. By entering multiple competitions with varying levels of skill, you will be able to soak up knowledge and gain valuable experience.
- Control Your Nerves. Managing pressure is very important in live competitions. You need to learn how your body reacts to high pressure situations and discover ways to remain mentally tough and physically strong. As they always say, practice makes perfect.
- Ask for Help. When you hit a wall and don’t seem to be improving, it’s okay to ask for help. Many experienced competition shooters love helping the new, less experienced shooters. Learning from those who have accomplished things you wish to achieve is more valuable than you could ever imagine.
- Adapt. As is the case with any competitive sport, it’s important to be able to adapt and change. If someone gives you a piece of advice, you shouldn’t be so stuck in your ways that you don’t listen. It only takes a small adjustment to make a world of difference in competitive shooting, so listen up and take notes.
- Firearm Choice. Much of your early success will depend on the type of firearm you choose. It’s best to go with something that’s comfortable, durable and dependable. Full-sized handguns with 4 to 5 inch barrels are ideal.
If you’re looking for high quality competition firearms, consider shopping our selection at Springfield Armory®. Our Springfield XD(m) 5.25 Competition Series is particularly popular and boasts reliable performance and superior ergonomics. Its sleek design and comfortable feel appeals to shooters of all levels. For more information on our high quality firearms, visit our website or contact us today. We would be happy to answer any questions you may have.